Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pictures, Pictures.... It is all about Pictures



It’s been said that the more you know the more you have to learn.
Just about a month ago I was "oh so certain" that the solution to presenting my art on the web was found and all I would be needing from that point on would be to expand upon the concept both in size of portfolio and quality of photography required to convey the physical and emotional characteristics of my work. I believed that as long as the conceptual side had been taken care of, the rest will follow as a matter of fact.
Yet, every time I've made a step forward and was able to look back at the preceding stage with the sense of superiority of growth and self-fulfillment, I was also experiencing a certain jolt of apprehension that while overall feel and quality of presentation had improved dramatically – my pieces remained far better "live" then on the screen.
Am I too picky? Not really. In addition to my own vanity, my success of selling on the web will, to a considerable extend, be determined by how other people perceive my artwork in terms of dimension, weight and texture and while virtual world is becoming a rather densely populated planet, most of us continue to expect materially sound objects when interacting with the world not so digital.

3 comments:

Aquana said...

beautiful bracelet

Unknown said...

I totally agree with your comment on the online photo depiction not equating to the "live" object...I forever struggle with this one taking what seems like 100 takes on my camera trying to get this one right...unfortunately this is the one disadvantage online selling has. If only all consumers had a strong inate, underlying, third sense....

whoozqueen said...

Hi Nenni,

I understand what you mean about presentation and photos being unable to replace the real world experience of wearing the item. One thing you could add to your listings (which already have better than average Etsy photos btw) is a link to a Flickr video. Put a piece on, model it, so that the buyer can see it 'in action'?